Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December 1st

My kids having been asking about our beloved elf Carl for weeks!  Today his long anticipated arrival was met with very excited children.  Emily made this card and gift for Carl and left it on the table.
Carl arrived during the night after his long trip home from the North Pole.  He hand carried a note from Santa to introduce our family to two new friends this year.
Carl brought two kindness elves with him along with a calendar of ideas of ways our family can show extra measures of kindness this month.
We are also beginning our advent reading today.  This year we are reading a book called, "Unwrapping the Greatest Gift." 
These are two books I borrowed from the library to read during our read aloud time every afternoon.  I am looking forward to the down time while Luke naps and the kids listen/color.
Finally, in an attempt to be more intentional about doing fun holiday related activities with the kids throughout the month, I wrote down an activity for us to do together everyday until Christmas.  Our first activity was to write our letter to Santa.  I found an idea several years ago that I loved because it was so simple and have been trying to implement ever since.  This year, I also found the idea written in letter format to Santa, so we used it as our template.
Our kids will get four presents
Something they want
Something they need
Something to play with
Something to read




 
My hearts desire is to spend time enjoying my children this Christmas season.  While all these activities are fun, meaningful, and create memories, I really want my children to know and embrace the reason we celebrate Christmas.  I want them to imagine that sweet baby boy born in a manager to Mary and Joseph.  I want their heart to love that baby.  I want their life to reflect that baby. 
 
"In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David.  And the virgin's name was Mary."
Luke 1:26-27
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment