Saturday, December 21, 2013

Last Day of School (Before Christmas Break)

We did it!
We managed to keep to our home school schedule this week and get all our work done.
We are all ready for a much needed rest!
Our older boys finished up their last semester exams today.  They will have new classes when they return to school in January.

Our littlest student, what a trooper he is!
 
 When we began in August, I definitely had a vision in my head of what our school day would look like.   I made spreadsheet schedule of our day.  We would begin at 8:00 am and finish at 2:30.  The kids would have plenty of center type activities to keep them engaged while I was working one on one with their siblings.  Today, four months into our first year of homeschooling, our day looks much different than my original vision. However, I am learning along the way what is important and what to let go.  This isn't a public school classroom.  My kids don't have to maintain a regimented schedule.  There is room for grace for all of us!
We will definitely be learning, but it won't all be reading, writing, and math.
We will be learning something that is more important, love for each other, finding joy in our day, extending kindness and being gentle with our words and actions, having self-control, seeing the goodness in what God does each and everyday, and building our faith through a relationship with Christ.
 
So, when we have days like this.....

I try to remember, and if I can't, I call my sister who sweetly and gently reminds me that we are doing exactly what God has called us to do. 
 
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress.  And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us."
Hebrews 12:1


No comments:

Post a Comment