Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss week is always celebrated the first week of March.  The kids enjoyed a fun week at school this week learning, reading, cooking, and celebrating the author Dr. Seuss.  Andrew has been talking all week about his "Cat in the Hat" hat that he made in Pre-K.  As you can see from the picture, the hat has been worn many times and is beginning to show signs of being well loved!
Speaking of Andrew, he is thriving in his Pre-K class.  Andrew is my challenge!  He is full of spirit, and 110% boy.  He brings me to my knees daily and I have been known on more than one occasion to question how I, a mom who came from an all girl family could have been blessed with a strong-willed, demanding, and ever curious little boy.  Last year was a particularly hard year for him and I.  He was challenging me on a minute to minute basis.  I felt like I never made any progress with him.  I felt his behavior was a direct reflection on my ability to be a good mom.  I was attending MOPS at the time at our church.  One day our mentor at MOPS said something that has made such a difference for me in how I look at my role as his mom.  She said, "God hand selected each of your children specifically for you and your family."  I began to ask God to show me what he wanted me to learn from being Andrew's mom.  I began to rely more on Him to guide my parenting.  One huge lesson I have learned is to be less selfish.  Andrew thrives in situations that allow for consistent structure.  By nature, this is not me.  I am more laid back.  I need to stop doing the things around the house that distract my attention from him and allow his curiosity to get him into mischief.
Andrew began this school year attending a Pre-K class with an excellent reputation.  We loved his teachers and began the year with confidence that this is exactly where he needed to be.  However, we soon learned God had other plans for him.  The class size was too large, the classroom space had too much going on, and Andrew was very unhappy.  Every day was a struggle to get him there.  I worried constantly about how he would behave.  We tried multiple behavior modification techniques only to have one behavior solved and a new one emerge.  By October, we were only lasting 1-2 hours at school and much of that time was spent out of the classroom.  I was defeated and wondered what his educational future would look like?
In November, he began attending a new Pre-K class.  This class is amazing.  The class size is small, the environment is structured, and we again love his teachers.  As I look back over the past year, there is no way I can deny the hand that God has played in where we are today.  Through consistent prayer, I felt God's presence even on those days that doubt crept into my thoughts.  Through faith alone, I am able to see each of Andrew's qualities as God given.  My prayer is for God to show me how to teach and model for Andrew how to use these gifts in a way that will honor God
I thank God everyday for the gift He gave me when He chose me to be Andrew's mom.
Andrew, you're smart, funny, curious, head strong, determined and loving.  God is going to use you for great things!

Andrew counting for us.

"But now, this is what the Lord says- he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel:  Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."
Isaiah 43:1

No comments:

Post a Comment