Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pittsburgh

 
My Christmas gift this year was a trip to see my family in Pittsburgh.  Brett spent his vacation at home with all 8 of our kids and sent me away for 6 days alone with my family.  I left bright and early on Dec. 26th and arrived in Pittsburgh around 9:30am to a cold, snowy day.


 
 Since my sister and her family had moved to New York this past summer, the family celebration had been bumped forward one day.  So, I had the opportunity to enjoy another Christmas morning with my family in Pittsburgh.  It was a surprise to both my sisters that I was going to be there, so their were a few tears shed among us.  Here's my niece and nephews opening presents at Nana and Pop's house.  I wish my entire family had been there to enjoy the memories together, but I had a wonderful time soaking it all in.
 
 After Christmas, we had a few days together before my sister Laura had to go home to New York.  We visited the Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh's campus to view the nationality rooms, had lunch out, watched Anne of Green Gables, and spent time just sitting around talking.
 
After my sister's family left to go home, my Mom and I got busy doing all the things we love to do together especially since I happened to be kid free.  My Mom had put so much thought into everything to make our time together special.  She had made a list of all the meals I love, my favorite desserts, activities we like to do together, and restaurants we like to eat at.  She even called by two best friends from high school to let them know I would be in town.  We had the chance to go out to eat on Sunday night and spent hours talking and catching up.  It is amazing how years can pass without us getting together, but when we do it is as if no time has passed.
The six days flew by and before I knew it, I was boarding my plane for the trip home to Georgia.  It was a wonderful gift and I enjoyed every single second of it.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment