Friday, June 22, 2012

In God's Timing

The past 3 1/2 weeks have been crazy in our house. We were expecting our eighth baby in the beginning of July. The kids had just gotten out of school and we were ready to enjoy a month of summer vacation before our new little one arrived. I had been hard at work preparing a summer schedule to keep us busy.

Throughout my pregnancy the most asked question by our kids was "Mom, when are you going to have the baby?" Our answer was always the same...only God knows when our baby will arrive. I believed this to be true, but still was shocked by the turn of events that happened. The last day of school was Friday, May 18th. Andrew was not feeling well that day. He started with a stomach ache and by dinner was running a low grade temperature. I didn't think too much of it. He wasn't acting too sick. Over the next week, the virus hit all the kids and myself.

The following Friday night, I came down with the virus. I was sick all weekend and by Sunday had noticed that the baby was not as active as he normally was. I called the doctor on Sunday morning to ask about being sick and whether or not it would affect the baby. They suggested coming into the hospital, but I put it off all day because I didn't want to go and them tell me I was fine. By dinner, I was getting worried because the baby really hadn't moved much,so Brett convinced me to go to the hospital. Once there things progressed quickly. The baby had 2 decels in his heart rate and the next thing I knew my room was full of nursing staff. Within a few minutes I learned that I would be having my first c-section because the baby was in distress.

Luke was born a few minutes before 9:00 pm on May 27th at 34 weeks. He weighed 5 pounds and 14 ounces and was 19 inches long. At first glance he looked healthy. They took him to the NICU for observation after I got a quick look and kiss.

"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.  Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hands.  How joyful is the man who's quiver is full of them"
Psalm 127:3-5


No comments:

Post a Comment